SHARE

Share |

Thursday, December 31, 2009

B-Ironic

Okay. So I avoided top tens and looks back at the decade. I feel too new to blogging to start all that. Check back in 2020 for a round up.

Meanwhile, though, there is one thing that I must put to bed before the year ends.

Summer of 2009 I wrote scripts for 2 shows. One is the moving-forward-by-leaps-and-bounds Cafe Lysistrata.

The other is Byron in Hell -- a dramatic monologue for a young actor. The monologue revolves around the Romantic poet as he wiles away eternity. One thing that still upsets him is that his sexual memoir was burned by his publisher before it was ever printed, shortly after he died. Byron, of course, was the consummate bisexual and I had a lot of fun with that aspect when writing (and re-writing). I sent it to my literary agent in Hollywood and asked him to get it to Rupert Friend.

After reading it, the agent dumped me as a client. It must be quite powerful. Or maybe we really have entered neo-Victorian times -- for the stage, not cable tv. (Ironically, Friend is in the new Victoria and Albert biopic.)

Anyway, it was the strongest negative response I've ever had to a script -- and I've had some doozies. Maybe I did something right. I'll have to re-read it in the New Year.

Out with the old and in with the new. Happy MMX

2 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned, Rupert Friend could read the yellow pages and make them sing. I applaud your forsight in envisioning him as Byron -- he is very Byronesque!

    ReplyDelete