SHARE

Share |

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today "Lady W's Fan"

Today is my actual birthday. I read "Lady Windemere's Fan" which is the first play in the book. And, as I've neither read nor seen this play, it was a pleasant way to pass the late morning, amidst all the calls and occasional peeks at email and Face Book well wishers. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the play is set on Lady W's birthday.

It contains one of Wilde's most famous aphorisms: "A cynic know the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Later or tomorrow I must blog about my other highlight gift -- a pre-Castro Habana cigar that is stamped "counterfeit" on the band. I'm letting it hydrate for a couple more days before smoking it. I want to get some photos, too. In some circles, playwrights and cigars still go together.

Plays read so far from "Chief Contemporary Dramtists" (Cambridge, Mass 1915):

"The Rising of the Moon" by Lady Gregory
"Lady Windemere's Fan" by Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment