SHARE

Share |

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

THE SECOND MRS TANQUERAY by Arthur Wing Pinero

THE SECOND MRS TANQUERAY by Arthur Wing Pinero 1893

Hmmn. I’m going to reserve judgment on this Pinero until I get a chance to someday read a comedy or two of his.

It’s odd to me that I can relate better to the mores of the times portrayed by Shakespeare or the Greeks better than the society and times of this play. Add to the script's bourgeois concerns some of the most unappealing characters imaginable – for me, in any case – and you’d think it enough to raise my ire.

However, the writing was quite good and I gained a notable realization reading this. I’ll pose it as a question: What is a philosophy but an attempt to define and codify that which allows people to get along with each other?

Plays read so far from "Chief Contemporary Dramtists" (Cambridge, Mass 1915):

"The Rising of the Moon" by Lady Gregory

"Lady Windemere's Fan" by Oscar Wilde

"The Hourglass" by William Butler Yeats

"Riders to the Sea"
J. M. Synge

"The Scarecrow -- a tragedy of the ludicrous"
by Percy Mackaye.

"The Witching Hour" by Augustus Thomas

"The Weavers" by Gerhart Hauptmann

"The Vale of Content" by Hermann Sudermann

"The Red Robe"
by Eugene Brieux

"Beyond Human Power" by Bjornstjerne Bjornson

"Pelleas and Melisande"
by Maurice Maeterlinck

"The Second Mrs Tanqueray" by Arthur Wing Pinero

-- Uke Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment