SHARE

Share |

Friday, February 19, 2010

Songs this week

So, I've been playing guitar again. To challenge myself I've been playing tunes out of "The World's Greatest Dixieland Fake Book." I couldn't find a link. Mine's a photocopy a tenor banjo player gave me.

I put in 2 or 3 hours each day. Here are the titles I practiced this week on guitar ( I already knew them all on ukulele):

ALABAMA JUBILEE
ALL OF ME
BALLIN' THE JACK
BLUE SKIES
BLUES MY NAUGHTY SWEETIE GIVES TO ME
BYE BYE BLUES
DARK EYES
FIVE FOOT TWO EYES OF BLUE
GEORGIA ON MY MIND
MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW
SOMEDAY YOU'LL BE SORRY
YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU

Now, when I say "practice" what do I mean? I pick the notes of the melody of each song three times, sometimes four if I'm still really lame after three. Then I chop the changes thru several times. I did this for 5 days this week, and will likely do it again tomorrow.

Some of the songs I can now sing while playing with the music in front of me. Some I know instrumentally without the music. "Ballin' the Jack" still wants some work to make it smooth.

I'm glad the guitar is back in my life. I love this reso (not surprisingly, since my main ax is a reso uke I had custom made in Australia). I used to be a solid rhythm guitarist. I forgot how much fun it can be. I love making music!

-- Uke Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment