SHARE

Share |

Thursday, May 13, 2010

NONE BUT A BLOCKHEAD… And a Big Black Bear

Dr. Samuel Johnson once said "None but a blockhead would write for other than money." Larry L. King, author of the underlying story and the book for "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" used "None But A Blockhead" as the title of a memoir. Anyway, I've pretty much ALWAYS subscribed to this philosophy.

When I was eight I wrote a poem and sent it to the Saturday Evening Post. There were 2 sections of the magazine that included verse back then. The editors wrote back that they would like to publish the piece in the section that didn't pay. I declined the offer. I should clarify that at age 8 I'd never heard of Dr. Johnson. I remember thinking that if anybody else was getting paid, I should, too.

Anyway, I've been trying to reconcile blogging with this "mission statement" if you will. At first I had Google Ad Sense but that was a joke at their rates. It would be a hundred years before I got $20.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I got an email from a company that sells theatre and concert tix. They offered me a flat monthly fee to add a permanent tag line on this blog’s home page, with links to their site. They've been following the blog for awhile and tracking the hits and that led to the offer.

It's not a huge amount, but it is enough for dinner and drinks for two once a month at the Minisink Hotel, my favorite country dive bar. So I accepted.

Welcome to my blog, VividSeats.com. The only thing I know about their service is that they exist, and they’re paying me, and that’s good enough for me.

I may be a cheap whore but at least I'm not a blockhead.

Now, about that bear – at about 7:30 this evening I went out on the deck and there was a HUGE black bear in my backyard. I ran in the house and grabbed the first camera at hand, which I afterward realized was a film camera, as opposed to digital. I went back out, went down into the yard, and got off a couple of quick snaps. The bear looked at me and slowly walked up into my woods and disappeared.

Funny thing is, yesterday I was wondering when a bear would make an appearance here. My house is grandfathered in a 38,000 acre national fish and wildlife refuge. I always see at least one bear on the property in the spring.

Proximity to a bear is still very much a thrill. Probably always will be. I can’t imagine being jaded about bears. Nothing like a bear to get the adrenaline pumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment