Did you know that serving in Congress for even one two-year term nets you a lifetime pension of your full salary, plus health insurance for the rest of your life? It's true. Even if you're convicted of a crime or crimes. It's a disgusting state of affairs.Congress sells out the American people to corporations on an almost daily basis. Bank bail outs, NAFTA (anybody remember Ross Perot talking about the loud sucking sound of jobs going south of the border?), GATT and so much more.
People get elected, go to Washington DC and become millionaires, and call it public service.
Here's an idea whose time has come:
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
12 years only, one of the possible options below..
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
2. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in .
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.
4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/11.
The American people did not make these contracts with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these deals for themselves. It's time for "we, the people" to stand up for ourselves and demand this. Endless war, the constant encroachment on the environment on behalf of corporate interests, and so much more, are bankruting our country financially, psychically and ecologically.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and go back to work.