SHARE

Share |

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Still Above Ground!

Well, after a nasty scare and extended stay in hospital I'm still above ground and vertical again. If you're a gardener pretty much anywhere on the East Coast of the U.S., beware of ticks! Mine was carrying a non-Lyme bacterium that mimics malaria. It is deadly if left untreated.

Shortly before all that happened, the producer of "Appalachian House Husband", my reality show, shot some test footage just to see how Sara and I do on camera. No lighting or sound other than an in-camera mic but everyone is pretty happy with the results, as a rough cut with all the appropriate caveats. If anyone asks for a link in the comments, I'll post one.

We start shooting for real at the end of the month. Should be fun and interesting.

Meanwhile, I continue to write: several new short stories; essays on characters from my past for a memoir of my days as a young Manhattan bohemian litterateur; and the beginnings of a murder mystery featuring a gardening sleuth who could be the main character in a series, if all goes well.

Reading-wise, I've been reading novellas by Colette (5), Paul Theroux (3), Alan Bennett's brilliant "The Uncommon Reader". Also short stories by Turgenev, Pushkin, R.L. Stevenson, Karen Russell, and lots of current tales in magazines.

Still playing music, of course, though a sub was necessary for one gig when I was in hospital. Look for us @ Hotel Bethlehem August 8, 9, 10 for Musikfest. 

And yes, I still have time to grow a large and beautiful garden -- though now I cover up and spray with Deep Woods Off with Deet before venturing out.

Thank you!
Uke Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment